The Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani is located on the Durban beachfront, offering sweeping Indian Ocean views along the 7km promenade.
Occupying two high-rise towers (one is Elangeni, the other Maharani), this large-scale hotel has been around for some time, and in areas this shows. Some of the rooms are quite dated, and in need of a refresh if it is to meet the seaside atmosphere that surrounds it.
Making up for this however is the pool deck and rooftop pool, both offering incredible views and a range of refreshing drinks and snacks to enjoy with the view.
Accommodation options are available in a variety of configurations from Standard to Family rooms and from Junior to Presidential Suites. Standard rooms include comfy beds, free WiFi, large screen flat TV and DStv with selected channels, private shower over bath, air conditioning, tea & coffee and a work station / writing desk. The standard room was slightly dated and could use a refresh. Tea and coffee making facilities are basic and the mini-bar is only stocked on request. The best part about the rooms at this property is definitely the view out to the ocean and down the promenade.
Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani has six restaurants and food outlets offering a diverse menu including traditional Japanese teppanyaki, award-winning steaks, classic cocktails to craft beer, café culture and an exceptional buffet. These include The Grill Jichana, Vigour & Verve, Lingela Restaurant, Daruma, the Panorama Bar and Pool Deck and Tall Ships. Breakfast is best taken on the pool deck with views of the ocean as sunrises. It is also a great place for sunset cocktails.
- Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas joins IHG - February 15, 2019
- AirAsia adds Brisbane to Bangkok flights - February 11, 2019
- Discover Mauritius - February 7, 2019
- Mauritius’ most instagramable spots - February 5, 2019
- Air Vanuatu adds non-stop from Melbourne - February 5, 2019
- Flight Review: Air Mauritius – Perth to Port Louis, Mauritius - February 1, 2019
- Hotel Review: SALT of Palmar, Mauritius - February 1, 2019
- Discover the best of Cabo, Mexico - January 23, 2019
- LOUNGE REVIEW: Wellness Spa, klia2 - January 22, 2019
- Discover Austria - January 19, 2019