Australia’s richest fishing competition, Million Dollar Fish, is back for a bumper fourth season, and with the odds better than ever, it’s time to plan your next trip to the unmissable Top End.
Five barramundis worth a cool one million dollars are now loose in the Territory’s fast-moving waters, alongside 100 fish worth $10,000 each, and 20 new charity fish worth $5,000 with half to go to the lucky angler and half to one of three Territory-based charities.
And it’s not just a prize fish you’ll be reeling in. The competition runs across some of the Top End’s most breathtaking fishing destinations from the picturesque landscape of Corroboree Billabong in the Mary River region to the pristine waters of Coburg in the remote wilderness of Arnhem Land. Two $10,000 fish have already been caught and claimed in Kakadu’s Yellow Water Billabong, which is proving to be a season four hot spot.
According to Million Dollar Fish Ambassador and cricketing legend Matthew Hayden, Million Dollar Fish is the best fishing competition in the world, in the world’s best fishing location.
“It’s the people’s fishing competition. The Top End’s peak barra fishing season is always spectacular and I think everyone should experience the thrill and adventure of hooking an iconic NT barra,” he said.
Mr Hayden said that once the first Million Dollar Fish was caught, the remaining four would revert to $10,000 bounties.
“And, if the Million Dollar fish hasn’t been caught by the end of March, the season will be extended until 30 September 2019 for the major prize only,” he said. “All 125 tagged barramundi have been released in Top End waters around Kakadu, the Tiwi Islands, Katherine, Darwin and Arnhem Land and it’s anyone’s guess where the million-dollar fish is swimming.”
The Top End is home to Australia’s largest barramundi population, so whether you’re an amateur angler, a seasoned fisho, or simply lured in by the promise of bagging $1 million on your next holiday in the Territory, there’s a chance you could be heading home with a sizeable souvenir!
The competition is free to enter, and participants must register online at www.milliondollarfish.com.au to be eligible for cash and sponsor prizes.
- Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas joins IHG - February 15, 2019
- AirAsia adds Brisbane to Bangkok flights - February 11, 2019
- Discover Mauritius - February 7, 2019
- Mauritius’ most instagramable spots - February 5, 2019
- Air Vanuatu adds non-stop from Melbourne - February 5, 2019
- Flight Review: Air Mauritius – Perth to Port Louis, Mauritius - February 1, 2019
- Hotel Review: SALT of Palmar, Mauritius - February 1, 2019
- Discover the best of Cabo, Mexico - January 23, 2019
- LOUNGE REVIEW: Wellness Spa, klia2 - January 22, 2019
- Discover Austria - January 19, 2019